How much should you trust social networking information?
I never really thought about this question until about a month ago when I got a strange phone call from a a collection agency wanting to know when I pay my bill to a major network services provider. Naturally, my answer was I don’t do business with that company and I don’t owe anyone any money. My new friend persisted. Aren’t you Judith Hurwitz — yes, I replied, I am guilty as charged. Then she wanted to confirm that I was indeed the CEO of a company called Changepond Technologies. Now this was when I stopped pleading guilty. No, I answered, I haven’t even heard of a company called Changepond and I am therefore, not their CEO.
Now, how would this my friend assume that I would be president of a company I never heard of? She did what we all do; she did a google search and on one of the “social networking sites” called Spoke, it lists me as the CEO of Changepond. Imagine my surprise (especially since I never got a salary).
Judith Hurwitz This is me
President & CEO
Newton, Ma 4037
Judith Hurwitz, President Judith Hurwitz was a driving force in the distributed computing movement and was one of the first software industry analysts to recognize and write about important technology changes such as client/server computing, systems and applications management, and e-business practices. In 1992, she founded Hurwitz Group, a software research and consulting organization that quickly became an industry leader. Clients included most of the top technology firms, including IBM, Hewlett Packard, BMC, Compuware, BEA, Tivoli, Computer Associates, and Microsoft. The organization also assisted a long list of start up companies in their transition from technology idea to business product. Judith also held senior positions at Apollo Computer, John Hancock Life Insurance Company, Patricia Seybold’s Group, and International Data Corporation. Judith’s expertise is widely recognized, and she is frequently quoted in major publications. She is currently a columnist for CIO Online and has recently written articles for BioITWorld Magazine. She has authored hundreds of articles and reports, been a frequent keynote speaker at major industry events, and serves on the advisory boards of several corporations. Hurwitz holds a BA and Masters degree from Boston University.
- RT @amjoyshow: Civil Rights, Climate Change, and Healthcare Were All Scrubbed from the White House Website esquire.com/news-politics/… via @Esq… 7 hours ago
- RT @PostGraphics: Words Donald Trump said for the first time in any U.S. inaugural address https://t.co/35FAQMgktj 7 hours ago
- RT @IBM: US Patent 9296395 applies #cognitive technology to help ensure drivers stay safe behind the wheel. Learn more: https://t.co/IX7mOm… 7 hours ago
- RT @BrookingsEcon: Obama will leave office after 75 straight months of positive jobs growth: brook.gs/2jjjGkt https://t.co/rsttNRtq99 1 day ago
- RT @gigabarb: Oracle snaps up Apiary to boost API expertise for.tn/2iF7PNI 1 day ago