What about Analytics in Social Media monitoring?
Fern Halper is a partner at Hurwitz & Associates. She is a renowned expert on analytics and information management. She is a frequent speaker at analytics events and a well known consultant and commentator. I am pleased that Fern is contributing to my blog.
By Fern Halper
I was speaking to a client the other day. This company was very excited about tracking its brand using one of the many listening posts out on the market. As I sat listening to him, I couldn’t help but think that a) it was nice that his company could get its feet wet in social media monitoring using a tool like this and b) that they might be getting a false sense of security because the reality is that these social media tracking tools provide a fairly rudimentary analysis about brand/product mentions, sentiment, and influencers. For those of you not familiar with listening posts here’s a quick primer.
Listening Post Primer
Listening posts monitor the “chatter” that is occurring on the Internet in blogs, message boards, tweets, etc. They basically:
- Aggregate content from across many, many Internet sources.
- Track the number of mentions of a topic (brand or some other term) over time and source of mention.
- Provide users with positive or negative sentiment associated with topic (often you can’t change this, if it is incorrect).
- Provide some sort of Influencer information.
- Possibly provide a word cloud that lets you know what other words are associated with your topic.
- Provide you with the ability to look at the content associated with your topic.
- RT @BrookingsEcon: Obama will leave office after 75 straight months of positive jobs growth: brook.gs/2jjjGkt https://t.co/rsttNRtq99 21 hours ago
- RT @gigabarb: Oracle snaps up Apiary to boost API expertise for.tn/2iF7PNI 21 hours ago
- RT @WeightlessSIG: Open #IoT standards win industry support. buff.ly/2jPGetE https://t.co/wyWJsgZVNo 23 hours ago
- RT @evanderburg: Oracle Scraps Plans For Solaris 12 i.securitythinkingcap.com/N8hnXC #tech 23 hours ago
- RT @data_nerd: Amazon announces apprenticeship program to train veterans for high paying tech jobs ow.ly/1JNE508Lddz 23 hours ago