What about Analytics in Social Media monitoring?
Fern Halper is a partner at Hurwitz & Associates. She is a renowned expert on analytics and information management. She is a frequent speaker at analytics events and a well known consultant and commentator. I am pleased that Fern is contributing to my blog.
By Fern Halper
I was speaking to a client the other day. This company was very excited about tracking its brand using one of the many listening posts out on the market. As I sat listening to him, I couldn’t help but think that a) it was nice that his company could get its feet wet in social media monitoring using a tool like this and b) that they might be getting a false sense of security because the reality is that these social media tracking tools provide a fairly rudimentary analysis about brand/product mentions, sentiment, and influencers. For those of you not familiar with listening posts here’s a quick primer.
Listening Post Primer
Listening posts monitor the “chatter” that is occurring on the Internet in blogs, message boards, tweets, etc. They basically:
- Aggregate content from across many, many Internet sources.
- Track the number of mentions of a topic (brand or some other term) over time and source of mention.
- Provide users with positive or negative sentiment associated with topic (often you can’t change this, if it is incorrect).
- Provide some sort of Influencer information.
- Possibly provide a word cloud that lets you know what other words are associated with your topic.
- Provide you with the ability to look at the content associated with your topic.
- RT @GottaLaff: This is not news, it's ego-driven, profit-making BS. twitter.com/barkway/status… 2 days ago
- RT @BU_CCD: A 2-step work plan to transform your entire life! ow.ly/sUIe306BxmX 2 days ago
- RT @gigabarb: Amazon brings on a new open-source guru via @FortuneMagazine for.tn/2fLp4f5?xid=fo… 2 days ago
- RT @NoGOPNo: I love you, President Obama! https://t.co/ZRbCKnBa0H 2 days ago
- RT @GottaLaff: Please start listening to us more instead of the liars at this rally, political media. twitter.com/andreastonez/s… 2 days ago